Photo: Krzysztof Ingarden Atelier

History 

In the early 80's the architect, professor Thomas Herzog, became interested in the concept of a curtained ceramic facade and developed it into a system.

In order to bring this system to market maturity, a consortium of German roof tile production plants was founded (Argeton). In subsequent years, from 1981 to market introduction in 1986, Professor Herzog was the sole development partner of the Möding GmbH & Co KG roof tile production plant. As a result of close collaboration, in 1984 the Möding roof tile plant produced the first facade tile, which was used on a building in Munich Lohhof.

In the early 90's the horizontal bearing profile (Generation 95) with clip holders was developed and introduced exclusively under the trade names "Möding Argeton tile facade". Because the horizontal bearing profile represented many advantages over traditional vertical profiles, market leadership was quickly established and Möding facades were implemented internationally. This accomplishment was honored with the Facade Prize from the Deubau trade show.

Due to its success, the Möding GmbH & Co. KG roof tile production plant grew into a pure facade specialist. Production of roof tiles was given up in order to fully concentrate on further development and marketing of tile facades. The advantages of a pure facade specialist were demonstrated in technological leadership, delivering on promises and the highest product quality.

Membership in Argeton and use of the Argeton product name was given up in the year 2000 through the Girnghuber GmbH & Co. KG acquisition.

With the acquisition the company name was changed to “Moeding Keramikfassaden GmbH“ and an autonomous product name, ALPHATON® , was introduced for facade tiles from 150 to 1500 mm. Large-format tiles under the product name LONGOTON® were also added to the product line.

Today we are proud to note that the term “MOEDING tile facade" is considered to be the stamp of quality in the segment of curtained, back-ventilated tile facades.